Hubert Tunney, Thornley Welfare 1953

The Opening of the New Thornley Miners’ Welfare Hall in 1953

The old Thornley Welfare Hall burned down in 1944. This new building, which was renamed as the Thornley Community Centre after the closure of the pit in 1970,, was opened in January 1953. This press clipping records the event.

Always known as ‘the Welfare’ the building was demolished in 2013 and replaced with a much smaller ‘village centre’.

Hubert Tunney Photographs and Documents Index Page.